Let us help you save money

We offer store-specific classes that teach the art of saving money by using coupons. We also give tips on getting coupon-organized and how to help others through couponing. We offer private one-on-one classes, or you can invite others into your home, church or office and make it a party. Email us for more information.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mail Call

Pinch and Sleepin' Beauty,

Ok, I feel like I have been taken advantage of by Harris Teeter. A little background, our Youth Director at church sent out a plea for soda for the youth and referenced the buy 2 get 3 free sale at Harris Teeter. I also have a family reunion this weekend and soda was one of the things on my list. I looked thru the sale ad online (that ends today) and found a couple of coupons for the Ken's salad dressing. Off I went.

The sign at the soda said buy 2 get 3 (but the actual price was actually left off). If I had known that the price was $6.29 for one 12 pack, I wouldn't have made the purchase.

I ended up buying 10 cases of soda (5 for youth, 5 for reunion). The price per case worked out to be $2.52 each, so I guess that wasn't too bad. I also got the 5 for $5 Ken's salad dressing and I had two $1/2 coupons. So I got five for $3. I needed storage bags. And since I didn't have a coupon and I saw that they would ring up half price, I got one. I did find one that had a .15 coupon on it.

Overall, I spent $31.67, and I did let out a "That can't be RIGHT!!" squeal (and not in a good way) when the cashier gave me my total. My receipt does say that I saved $44.19 on this trip.

So, did I get duped?

The Rookie


Dear Rookie,

Let's take a look at 12-pack soda prices at different stores:

Rite Aid (Coke products) 3/$9.99 = $3.33/pack before +UP ($2.66 after $2 +UP)
Food Lion (Coke products) 2/$7 = $3.50/pack
Lowes Foods (Coke products) 2/$7 = $3.50/pack
Walgreens (Coke products) 4/$14 = $3.50/pack
CVS (Pepsi products) 3/$11 = $3.67/pack
Food Lion (Pepsi products) 3/$11 = $3.67/pack
Lowes Foods (Pepsi products) $4.99/pack (not on sale)

Even though $6.29 is high for a 12-pack of soda at Harris Teeter, it is still cheaper per pack considering the Buy 2 Get 3 Sale ($2.52/case). So you did good on that deal today.

At Food Lion tomorrow (Wednesday), Pepsi 12-packs will be on sale for 4/$9 (or $2.25 per case)...not that much difference between Harris Teeter Tuesday and Food Lion Wednesday.

The Ken's salad dressing was good too, although I probably wouldn't have bought that 5th dressing (but that's just me...no coupon, no sale). But even at $1, that is not a bad price.

I don't know what kind of storage bags you bought, but I am assuming they were the Hefty bags. I found a $1.00 off 2 Q...so if you found a peelie for 15 cents (30 cents if doubled), still not a bad deal. I am proud of you for finding the peelie!!

So, in closing, I think you did fine. You got a good deal on the soda.

My pet peeve with Harris Teeter is that on their Buy 2 Get 3 Free sales, I think they increase the prices. Just out of curiosity, I am going to stop by Harris Teeter Wednesday to check out their regular price for soda.

Now to change the subject, we will be sending our expired Qs off in another week if you want to donate yours.

I heard a rumor that HT might be doing triples starting September 8th. The rumor should be confirmed this coming Sunday. If the rumor turns out to be true, we (me, you and Sleeping Beauty) need to get together to strategize your triples shopping. (Strategize...is that even a word??) I look forward to shopping with you during triples!!!

**Pinch**

No comments:

Post a Comment