Let us help you save money

We offer store-specific classes that teach the art of saving money by using coupons. We also give tips on getting coupon-organized and how to help others through couponing. We offer private one-on-one classes, or you can invite others into your home, church or office and make it a party. Email us for more information.

Friday, December 17, 2010

School Parties

I put on my Suzie Homemaker hat this week and started my holiday cooking. A couple of years ago I found the easiest fudge recipe ever. Not only is it good but it is super super simple to make. Last year, I shared the recipe with Sleeping Beauty and she made a bunch of it for her family.

I made the fudge for teacher gifts. I also gave each teacher a candle (just in case they didn't like the fudge).

Young Jedi Pinch had a Christmas party today at his school. I brought the cheese and crackers. I love the Creative Cutters Set from Pampered Chef. It always impresses people when you have cute little decorative cheese pieces.


Off the subject a bit...a few years ago Mr. Pinch and I had a party for his hockey team. Those guys were so impressed with the cheese. Really, they were!! I told them that I hand cut each cheese slice and it took me all day to carve all the cheese pieces into fancy designs. They believed me! Men are so gullible.

Christmas Eve is the Young Jedi's birthday and I wanted to bring cupcakes to school to celebrate. His class birthday party was supposed to be Thursday but the ice storm cancelled school. I tried to talk the Young Jedi into celebrating his birthday in January because the class was having a Christmas party today. But he didn't want to wait. So not only did the class have cookies, chips, cheese doodles and Christmas cupcakes, they had birthday cupcakes also. Can we say sugar overload??

By the way, cookies and cupcakes have to be store bought for school parties. When I stopped by Harris Teeter on Wednesday to order the cupcakes, I about had a heart attack when I realized that 36 cupcakes were going to cost around $30. I have cake mix in my stockpile that probably cost me less than $1 and I am going to spend $30 on cupcakes! I made a specific point of mentioning that I would not pick the cupcakes up on Thursday morning if school was cancelled on Thursday. (After all, our local weather person was telling us that we might get snow and ice Wednesday night.) I also mentioned that if I didn't get the cupcakes on Thursday, I would get them on Friday. School was cancelled Thursday. When I went to HT on Friday, I was told that my cupcakes were sold to someone else. Okay, I'll admit it, I was a little irritated. Then the bakery person told me she had some cupcakes she could give me. The bakery person then pulled out a big brown cardboard box and started opening packages. Hmmmm, a bakery that doesn't actually bake! Imagine that! Then she had to scramble to find decorations to put on the cupcakes. The best part...she didn't charge me since it was their mistake. And it's a good thing I didn't pay for those cupcakes. I have one word...STALE. No, make that a few words...STALE, YUCKY, DISAPPOINTING!

And why can't I bring homemade cupcakes? For the last two weeks, different grades have had bake sales at school with actual home baked items. Why is it okay to have homemade things at a bake sale but not at a birthday or Christmas party??

I guess I made a big mistake earlier in the school year when I made pimento cheese sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, ham biscuits and sausage biscuits to feed volunteers at a book fair. I did notice that I was the only one that "made" something. Next time I will not go to all that trouble...a pack of nabs and a bag of chips is what I'll be donating. And I definitely will not be bringing cupcakes from Harris Teeter.

**Pinch**

No comments:

Post a Comment