Let us help you save money

We offer store-specific classes that teach the art of saving money by using coupons. We also give tips on getting coupon-organized and how to help others through couponing. We offer private one-on-one classes, or you can invite others into your home, church or office and make it a party. Email us for more information.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Extreme Couponing on TLC

There is a new reality show premiering Wednesday (12/29) at 8:00PM called "Extreme Couponing." Click here to watch a preview from Good Morning America.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I am feeling extremely inadequate because of the size of my stockpile.

The highlights from the preview are below. My comments are in italics.

Amanda:
  • She spends 70 hours a week couponing. (She obviously doesn't have children or grandchildren).
  • Her stockpile, valued at $35,000, has it's own insurance. (I can barely afford car and health insurance.)
  • Her stockpile makes her feel secure. (So I can only assume that my insecurities revolve around the fact I don't have 3,000 rolls of toilet paper.)
  • She used 1,000 coupons on one shopping trip. (She obviously doesn't shop at my Harris Teeter or my CVS or my Walgreens or my Rite Aid. My least favorite self-appointed Coupon Police-woman at Harris Teeter would have a heart attack if I gave her 1,000 coupons. And the sour-puss at Walgreens would probably quit her job!)
For some reason, her story made me really, really sad.
 
Nathan:
  • He has 10,000 items in his stockpile. (That makes my five bottles of dish detergent look pretty slim.)
  • He has 1,500 sticks of deodorant in his stockpile. (This guy must smell bad to have to stockpile that much deodorant.)
  • His stockpile is valued between $50,000-$75,000. (I'm speechless!)
  • He "bought" over 2,000 items in one shopping trip, including 300 toothbrushes and 1,100 boxes of cereal. (So THAT'S why there are never any toothbrushes when I shop. And my store never has 1,100 boxes of cereal on the shelf at one time.)
  • He says he donates a "share" to the church food bank. (My guess...three boxes of cereal!)
His little segment really ticked me off!

Joanie:
  • She dumpster dives for her coupons with her toddler son and pregnant BFF. (Did you notice...Joanie is wearing gloves and knee-high boots in the dumpster, while her toddler son is sitting in the dumpster WITHOUT gloves?)
I can relate to her...only about couponing when her hubby lost his job. As for the dumpster diving...she is NUTS!

I am going to watch this show just for the laughs. I love to coupon but I don't think I am as compulsive as these people. But I feel I need to defend myself...I gave away A LOT of my stockpile at Christmas. I do spend time cutting and filing coupons, checking grocery lists and shopping...but I still have a life!

I must go now...I'm going to call my therapist and cancel my next appointment. I have found the secret to a secure life...I NEED TO BUY MORE TOILET PAPER!

**Pinch**

No comments:

Post a Comment