Let us help you save money

We offer store-specific classes that teach the art of saving money by using coupons. We also give tips on getting coupon-organized and how to help others through couponing. We offer private one-on-one classes, or you can invite others into your home, church or office and make it a party. Email us for more information.

Friday, July 23, 2010

"The Gift Of A Letter"

Dear Pinch and Sleeping Beauty,

I have a sad sad tale to tell. After our last class, I made a plan. One with pretty good intentions. I did the homework that was assigned and pulled it off perfectly. With this success and the previous one under my belt, I made my plan.

The Plan: (Walgreens)
Purchase a Colgate toothpaste (that I don't use) and donate it since it's free. And then use the RR toward a film developing purchase. (I guess that is allowed, if not someone let me know). I also wanted to get a pack of gel pens. I did get a rain check (that I have to use before the end of the month to use the coupon to get the pens for $.19).

I found the toothpaste, the coupon that I had was for 4 oz or larger. I missed the size limitation for the RR (5.2 oz). MISTAKE!! I also missed the RR limit of 1. MISTAKE!! So I purchased 3 (4 oz) tubes (my coupon was $1 off of 3) and paid a total of $10.28 and didn't get any RR. I was planning on spending about $4 total on this adventure. I left the store after paying $17.49. So, I overpaid by $13.49!!!!

The lunch menu for tomorrow is CROW, right after I return my $10 toothpaste.

Signed,
Amateur Hour


Dear Amateur Hour,

Everybody makes mistakes. It is very easy to correct this mistake. First, take a deep cleansing breath. Next, hop in the car, take everything back and get a refund. By the way, you will get cash back for your coupon. Let us know if you have any trouble with your return.

Let's talk about the things you did perfectly. Asking for a rain check for the gel pens was a very smart move. (Note to self...get a rain check tomorrow.) Next, getting something for free that you will eventually donate is very admirable. And yes, you can use RR on film processing.

Now let's talk about the things that went less than smoothly. Since you can only get one RR, you shouldn't have bothered with that coupon. And you shouldn't have purchased three toothpastes (but you know that now). We purchased that toothpaste last week and it was very hard to find. If we remember correctly, there wasn't a sale sign near the toothpaste so picking up the wrong one is an honest mistake. (Note to Walgreens...please put up the signs for your customers.) Also, trust your gut. If you feel your receipt is wrong or feel you have paid too much, take the time to go over your receipt in the car before you leave the parking lot.

We will leave you with this quote from Ornette Coleman..."It was when I found out I could make mistakes that I knew I was on to something."

By the way...we will be over tomorrow for lunch to eat crow with you. We hear crow goes well when smothered in free butter, sour cream and cheese.

**Pinch**

==Sleeping Beauty==

No comments:

Post a Comment